Ajesh Maharaj is a rheumatologist practicing at Westville Hospital in Durban, South Africa. He is a past-president of the Kwa-Zulu Natal branch of the Arthritis Foundation of South Africa and on the Advisory Boards of Pfizer, AbbVie, and Novartis South Africa on their biologics division.
He is widely published in international peer-reviewed journals. He has presented at numerous local and international conferences.
Dr Maharaj obtained his PhD in psoriatic arthritis (PsA) through the Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is a leading expert in PsA in South Africa and on the African continent. He is a fellow of the College of Physicians of South Africa.
He is on the following International committees:
- International Group for Research and Assessment for Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis (GRAPPA);
- American College of Rheumatology (ACR)/EULAR guideline committee on polymyalgia rheumatica;
- International League of Associations of Rheumatology (ILAR) committee on drawing up recommendations for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis in resource-poor settings;
- Assessment of Spondyloarthritis International Society (ASAS);
- Member of International Psoriasis and Arthritis Research Team (iPART); and
- Fellow of the ACR.
Dr Maharaj has the following awards:
- United Nations Scholarship (UNESCO) to study Medicine in 1981;
- Y K SEEDAT Medal of The College of Physicians of South Africa for the best candidate in The Higher Diploma in Internal Medicine in 1998;
- Pharmacia/Pfizer Rheumatology Travel Scholarship for South Africa for 2002; and
- Recipient of the Uttar Pradesh Pravasi Bharatiya Ratna Award 2017, Government of Uttar Pradesh, India (Highest civilian award in the state).